Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Day of School Eve Weekend

Hey Everyone :) I know it's been a while since I updated, but not much was going on... despite that, I never found time to write. So maybe a lot was going on...? Regardless, the last four weeks of my life were full of the orientations course (in which I received an A, woo!), some field trips to cities near Bonn and photos can be seen on my facebook profile, and exploring the city of Bonn while making some new friends. We finally start classes this coming week, a little later than American colleges... but I'm looking forward to it. I'll be taking a DSH prep course. The DSH is apparently a language test that foreigners need to take in order to study at a German University so if I take this test and pass it, I can come back to study at a German University again no problem. Or just put it on my resume... I'll also be taking four or so English classes at the University, ranging from the American short story to old and middle english incantations :) I'm excited to see the German perspective of the American literature, should be neat. To complete my weeks, I'm also signed up for an indoor cycling class and to volunteer at an elementary school one morning a week for four hours. Should be fantastic :)

We had a short break over Easter of about 6 days so I took a trip with some friends here to London and Edinburgh. We left Friday night and got to London around 9 PM, stayed in a hostel, and explored the city the next day. We did a tour around the important buildings and I enjoyed it a lot, learned a lot about the city, its lay out, and lots of buildings I would have over looked on my own. We also did a pub crawl through an organized company and got to see some of London's pubs, also pretty cool. I really enjoyed the Tube (the subway in London). It's so efficient and awesome... Also, very punctual. Then on Sunday we flew to Glasgow and took a bus across Scotland to Edinburgh. The countryside is so beautiful and green, it's hardly believable. Edinburgh is home to the castle that William Wallace (Braveheart... Mel Gibson) defended. It's also the most haunted city in Europe, or so they claim, so we did a free tour during the day and a ghost tour at night. All the stories about the city were incredible, including seeing the building where JK Rowling wrote the first two Harry Potter stories and the building that possibly inspired Hogwarts. One the tours we learned the origins of the phrases: a stiff drink, to be shit faced drunk, and the graveyard shift. I don't have time to post those today but I promise I will tomorrow since they're super interesting :)

Today I went to the Netherlands with some friends, so that's one more place to cross off the list :-D Going to visit Jenny next weekend hopefully.
miss and love you all
debby

No comments:

Post a Comment