Sunday, February 7, 2010

Inevitable Return to the Fatherland

T-minus 18 days until I leave... it's starting to feel very real. I decided to start this blog to update friends and family, though mostly Adam Slavens, about my happenings in Bonn. I'll probably write every few days or at least once a week, so check back to see how I'm doing :)

Also, I'll probably use a lot of ":)". Don't judge.

Only two and a half weeks left before I go, like I said, it's starting to feel real finally. First reality check was the semester in Madison starting without me for the first time in 4 1/2 years. I'm very anxious about the classes Bonn will have to offer and if they can compare to the English dept. at Madison. I hope they have something concerning Chaucer... speaking of, I chose this template because it's the same at the Chaucer blog. I'm more or less becoming a huge nerd.
Second reality check: Jenny left for Utrecht and I am left with *nothing* to do in Brookfield and no work out partners besides Edward. Jenny and I will only be a few hours apart in Europe but it's still strange that she's gone again (it feels like when she left for Italy a few years ago).
Third reality check: TV shows are starting and I won't be able to see the end of the seasons!! What will I do without hours of reality television to fill my time? Will I miss the entire second season of the Jersey Shore? Will I ever feel comfortable with the German dubbed versions of my beloved shows? Only time will tell...

I'm also beginning to get nervous that my expectations are set so high that I'll be severely disappointed. This isn't the typical study abroad experience: I don't know if I can become homesick when my grandparents will be a 15 min train ride away or when I have more cousins over there than I do in the Milwaukee area. I also know my way around Bonn already and have friends there; will I have less fun exploring that other American students?

Hopefully things go great and I love every minute of it :) Check back to see how I'm doing before I go, when I arrive, and what sorts of trips I manage to take!

Get ready Europe: the Oakes twins are coming back... unsupervised!

No comments:

Post a Comment