Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The American Dream: The Little Things

Alright, everyone, only two more weeks. I'm starting to freak out randomly about little things like "will my computer work? do i need an adapter? do german hair straighteners work as well as mine, if so, should i buy one there or bring mine with me? will i be able to find wings and chili anywhere?"

You know, the important things in life. The little things.

It's becoming more surreal each day thinking that I won't come in to Perkin's six days a week anymore or that I can't watch my TV shows on Fridays, my day off lately. It's also becoming more of a concern thinking "will I be able to cook for myself?", will I even be able to read and understand the ingredients on food packaging? Also, where in the world will I do laundry? Those of you who know me well or have lived with me know that I'm a very detailed oriented person and before I take a leap of faith off a cliff, I prefer to have a topographical map of how high from sea level that cliff is and what the weather conditions on the way down will be. I don't feel comfortable not knowing my classes, not knowing my daily routine and set up, not knowing a lot of little things.

Missing the little things, like american fast food and diner coffee or football on sundays and opening day at Miller Park... that will be the hardest for me. I'm excited and I get more excited by the day to be leaving but I'm so high strung that I think I'll actually be more relaxed when I get there, despite being in a new and mostly foreign place... It's a very odd feeling to say the least.

Knowing that Jenny is settling in well in Utrecht is making things easier to take in stride, I'm also excited to start planning trips. How does St Patricks Day in Ireland sound for starters? O:)

that's it for now, need to continue to enjoy american phenomena while I can: trivia night at a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment