Sunday, July 4, 2010

Random Adventures: Drachenfels and Christopher Street Day

A couple weeks ago, since I don't have class on Fridays and the weather was beautiful, I decided to wander through Drachenfels with some awesome people. Drachenfels is a certain mountain in the Konigswinter area of outside of Bonn. It's across the Rhein and about a half hour on the U-Bahn south, not far at all, and is a really cute little town. Drachenfels is a really steep hill that you can spend an hour hiking up; on the way up there's a castle to tour inside of. The views from its terrace are awesome but the castle is underwhelming and looks a little hokey. This is probably because it's from the 18th Century and mainly aristocrats lived there. So it's not old or actually important but the people who lived there had too much money and wanted to show that off. It's still cool to see :) Pictures are on my fb page if you're curious. At the top of the mountain there are some castle ruins and some rocks that I remember from when I was a kid, so I took a picture with them :)
The view from the top was amazing and definitely worth the climb. Libby, Jon, Sam and I all hung out at the top for a bit and snacked on some stuff Jon had in his bag. We found a vending machine with ice cream for the trip down and continued the adventure on to the Birkenstock outlet :) I got a pair of sandals. I'm starting to come to terms with the disgusting extremities we call feet and have bought multiple pairs of sandals from H&M and some flats... I kinda like them.

Another adventure happened today and that was the Christopher Street Day in Cologne. Since it's the 4th of July, I couldn't miss out on a parade. This one didn't have children handing out candy though. Substitute some drunk, half naked, men... who were all celebrating gay pride :) It was still a parade though ha ha It was an interesting experience, there were SO many people. The floats were all a lot of fun and playing some awesome music ha ha so Sam and I had a dance party in the street. I'm not really pro-gay so much as pro-equality and it was really amazing to see so many people feeling liberated and able to be themselves in public and you could see the genuine happiness in every single person's face in that parade. It was incredible and I'm glad I got to see it.

I should get back to homework now... I come home in a month from tomorrow (what?! already?!), Mandy leaves in 20 days (NOOOOOOO!!!!) and I only have 19 days until the end of the semester and my college career... crazy. However, I need to finish my papers before then. Ew.

See you all soon :)
x

No comments:

Post a Comment