Friday, June 11, 2010

bee tee dubbs

Classes are going well, halfway through and I need to start thinking about the papers I'm going to be writing... ew. What's homework again? ha ha the course load is ridiculously simple compared to Madison. Great semester to have senioritis! ha ha
I won't be traveling for two weeks or so until June 25th when I'm headed to Portugal (Faro) for a long weekend with friends, should be amazing. I'm nervous because it'll be my first trip to a country where I can't speak the language... yea...
Then I need to decide where I want to travel the last week of July/first week of August while Lissi is on vacation and before I leave for the states again... God, less than two months... :( Don't want to think about that.

After being gone for two weeks, the kids were really excited to have me back on Tuesday. Some were being really naughty but others bombarded me with little hugs :) Made me feel really great that they missed me. I taught them Kickball yesterday which was so fun but hard because they don't understand baseball so I had nothing to base it off of. At first they didn't understand the idea of staying in the baseline, of having to touch each base and not just run a giant circle, of having to tag someone out and not throw the ball at the runner, of not skipping over a runner ahead of you because they're going too slowly ha ha It was great :) They thought it was complicated but they did a good job. Frau Schumacher also thought it was good practice for both me and the kids to give and understand instructions in a foreign language/by a non-native (ish) speaker... It's awkward saying things like "if you catch the ball in the air, the kicker is out"... Who has a vocabulary made for that? ha ha. Answer: not really me. I managed though :) I'm definitely getting attached to the kids and developing individual connections with many of them. I'm going to miss them... They're so incredible. About ten of them are from another country or have parents who are and are learning a 3rd language (beside German and English in school) already. It's amazing. I like having discussions with them about what America is like and how it's different and just spending time with them during the work times. They invited me on their field trip in July too so that will be fun.

Microwave update: it still sparks sometimes when it heats things up. I find this very dangerous, everyone else finds it normal and doesn't care enough to replace it. Fantastic: I may die in a mircowave fire.

Otherwise, life is good. The weather is starting to get nicer and I spent today wandering in the Drachenfels hills in Konigswinter to see a castle and some ruins.. then headed to the Birkenstock outlet for some 50% off sandals (yep, suck it :-p). First pair of legit sandals... we'll see how I like them.

Now it's time to catch up on sleep again.
miss and love you all
d

No comments:

Post a Comment