Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Post Modern Colonialization

Volunteering at the Elementary School has easily become one of my favorite, though most tiring, parts of the week and this week was especially fun because I was able to bring in some American candy for the kids to try.

They tried smarties which they thought were good but sour, tootsie rolls which they thought tasted like caramel more than chocolate ha ha, candy buttons which they loved but kept trying to get every bit of paper off the back of it, and some old time wafer things that one girl claimed smelled like smoke after you licked it ha ha









Frau Schumacher played a game with them after we handed out the candy and the winner got extra pieces so they liked that. This was called Jaeger/Hase or Hunter/Rabbit. When she said Rabbit, they ducked and Hunter, they jumped up. She would try to confuse them and any movement if you were supposed to stay down, like for more than one Rabbit in a row, resulted in disqualification! Intense...








They are cute little monsters though... :)

Lucas was a mess that day, he had chocolate on his face and ink on his nose ha ha :) But they had a math test that morning and I sat next to him to keep him focused, didn't tell him the answers though, and he did really well. He's smart, he just needs to focus... He apparently asks Frau Schumacher everyday now "Kommt die Debby heute?" "Is Debby coming today?" :) That made my day when she told me.



This is a group of children hyped up on foreign candy... good thing they had recess next ha ha :)




Felix was telling me how he knows the word for Frieden, Peace, in English and was giving the peace sign :) I couldn't help but laugh.

I know Frau Schumacher enjoys having the help and it has really become the most rewarding part of my experience here... it's definitely making me realize I would miss teaching and the classroom setting in my life, I want to pursue it back in Milwaukee.




Well that's all for now, I'm headed to Hamburg eeeeearly tomorrow morning for the long weekend with Alyssa, Ben, Kent, and Cassandra. Should be exciting, I've never been to Northern Germany :) I'll post on Monday for sure.
miss and love
d

No comments:

Post a Comment